Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Kielbasa Sauerkraut Noodle Casserole

For dinner tonight, I made this recipe with a few changes. I've actually been making a lot of sauerkraut recipes lately because even though it isn't my favorite, we got 3 94 serving cans of it from Ruby's Pantry. That's a lot of servings! It does last a long long time but we have to eat it eventually. Besides, sauerkraut is actually good for you. Some people even put it on their list of "super foods".

So here are the modifications I made:

1 box of bow tie noodles (although the shape of noodle doesn't seem to matter)
4-5 cups of sauerkraut, drained
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
3 cups of milk
1 1/2 cups cheese (I wanted to use the cheddar but all I had was mozzarella)
2 tablespoons cream cheese
paprika
garlic powder
onion powder
couple squirts of mustard (I actually used this weird mustard relish stuff. The relish is very minimal but the flavor is there)
ring of Kielbasa

Then I followed the directions but since I had so many more noodles and sauerkraut, I used a 5 qt casserole dish. I also added the spices to the cheese sauce, when the cheese was starting to melt. I was very generous in adding the seasonings also, because some of the commentators from the original said it was a little bland.

I thought it still needed something (salt? I never add salt to my cooking it seems) but David rated this a 9 or 10. I also wonder how much of a difference the cheddar cheese would have made. I'll definitely make it again though and this is a very reasonable way to eat sauerkraut, even if you don't like sauerkraut!

No comments:

Post a Comment