Pages

Friday, September 29, 2017

Using Up CSA Veggies

I am going to preface this with an  apology.  My computer keyboard is acting up and it randomly doubles or even triples letters and  spaces. It has done this before but I don't remember how to  fix  it. I will try to catch all the typos but it is a pain. Please bear with me.

I almost always add  veggies  to sloppy joes, usually peppers and  sometimes carrots. I've added corn before  too but that  was a little strange. This week, I had a lot of miscellaneous CSA veggies to use up so I just chopped them up  and added them to the ground turkey. I used red onion (that was a great choice!  Red onion is  one of my favorites), turnips, spinach, carrots, and bell peppers. It was surprisingly really good. I don't know why  I'm always surprised when something with so many veggies tastes good.


I will also mention that  I used  canned sloppy joe sauce that was bold. I think the bold  really makes a difference. Some day,  I will make my own sauce but right now I don't have enough burners.

Another good thing to add veggies to  is tuna salad. Celery is a good addition but I  didn't have  any  this time. So for crunch, I added raw red bell pepper. I  also added lots  of red onion, spinach, and cherry  tomatoes. In the past, I have also added white beans to it without much taste difference.

In  both recipes (sloppy joes and tuna), my  kids gobbled them up and  couldn't get enough! Sometimes I try to hide  the veggies from the kids  but I am also a huge  advocate of  having  them try everything too.

By  posting this, I hope it will encourage you to add more veggies to  recipes you already love. Plus, I have had some requests for what veggies  I add to some kid favorites. Basically, since belonging  to the CSA, I have added veggies to everything--whatever I have  on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment