Pages

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Homemade Mushroom Gravy with Salisbury Steak

I found some "ground beef steaks" in my freezer and had no idea what that was. Was it a hamburger patty? Was it a steak with a weird texture? I asked David and he goes "oh! That's for Salisbury steak!"

So tonight I was able to cook them from frozen but then I realized they probably didn't have any seasoning in them because the company expects you to put gravy with it. I've never made gravy (not from inside a turkey) before so I was definitely intimidated. I didn't think it was hard, I understood the basic concept but it was still uncharted territory for me.

I had mushrooms and no beef broth (or stock) so I looked up recipes for "mushroom gravy". I found this recipe and tweaked it just a bit.

First (in my electric skillet), I cooked the steaks. I set them on a plate but left the grease in the pan. Then, I sauteed some mushrooms and onions in the grease, until well cooked (the onions even got this nice almost char on them). I added 2 tablespoons of flour (the original recipe calls for 3 but I didn't want a ton of gravy. I only had 3 steaks).

Next mix it up well and make sure there's no flour bits anywhere. Then, I didn't have any broth but I did have a spare packet of chicken ramen seasoning. I added 1 1/2 cups of water (instead of two) and half of the packet of seasoning. Then I added some garlic powder, onion powder, a splash of liquid smoke, thyme, and sage. I stirred frequently, letting it bubble so it grew thicker.

After a couple minutes, I added the steaks back in the gravy so they could absorb some of the flavor of the gravy too. I let everything heat throughout and let it cook until my desired consistency (just another minute or two). Then I served!

I made this with mac and cheese because that's what my kids requested, French bread to soak up the gravy, and raw snow peas because I ran out of time to make anything else and I happened to find those in the fridge.

I was (am) SO giddy that I was able to make gravy! And it was all absolutely delicious. I honestly rate this a 10/10!

No comments:

Post a Comment