Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Sauerkraut Latkes

I'm always on the lookout for new and interesting ways to eat sauerkraut. I don't particularly like it (but I tolerate it) but we always have a lot from Ruby's Pantry. My old favorite way to eat it was cold (to keep the probiotics!) with scrambled eggs. My new favorite way is to make it into latkes!

I drained a 1 pound bag of kraut very, very well. Drain it and squeeze out as much  moisture as you can. Then add 1/3 cup flour, 2 eggs, and seasonings (I used onion powder and garlic powder). Mix well.

Now, my recipe called for deep frying (high heat, lots of oil, lots of time) and I did end up doing it that. I took a forkful and smushed it into a patty in the pan. They held together surprisingly well (my husband can tell you, any time we make "patties"they don't stay together after you cook them). But next time, I would cook them in a well greased skillet or in my built-in air fryer (in my toaster oven).

They were pretty good the first time around. A little tangy, but not like usual sauerkraut. One toddler liked them, one didn't. I could've browned them more the first time but it's hard to get high enough heat on a plug in single burner.

I  reheated them today in my air fryer, making them much crispier and I thought they were better. My husband liked them both ways.

I've also heard of people doing half sauerkraut, half shredded potato. Or even adding in apples. I think a tart apple, like a Granny Smith could be really good. I will definitely experiment next time but I would totally make these again.

This is what I based my original off of but I didn't do the meat or the applesauce. (I might've done the applesauce had I had any).

No comments:

Post a Comment