Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Mosquitoes

Mosquitoes are my worst enemy. They LOVE me. They eat me right up. For instance, last night I sat in front of a citronella candle (supposedly mosquito repellent) for about 20 minutes and I got 12 new bites. I've had bites through my clothes, even in jeans! I don't know how they do it. I did read that they can smell their "prey" up to 50 meters away though. There is still a lot of research needed about who they like the most but they know it has to do with natural things like lactic acid, uric acid, and carbon dioxide (what you breathe out. The more you breathe, the more they find you).

From what I can tell, repellents with 30% DEET are the best (but being pregnant, I can't use anything higher than 10%). Also, those new products that clip on you are supposed to work really well and then you don't have to slather the spray on because it's all contained. I had heard decent things about those candles too but apparently that didn't work so well.

There are many products available and sometimes, the best thing you can do is just try different ones and see what works best for you. All I know is they really really like me and I haven't found a product that works well enough yet. I'll keep you posted if I find something amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment