Pages

Friday, August 15, 2014

Circular Coasters

My mom had asked me to make her a set of coasters because the fabric ones absorb the condensation and her cork ones just let it run off the sides, onto the table, defeating the purpose of a coaster. I have log cabin square ones (that I have previously blogged about) but I wanted to try something new. I decided to do circle ones.

First, you take 4 coordinating fabrics, each about a 4 inch square. Then sew them together into a block, forming the top of the coaster. Be sure to sew right sides together. Make a circular template from a cup or dish (I used my breast pad one) to trace a circle on the block how big you want the coaster, plus a little bit for seam allowances. Cut out the coaster. Then cut out the same shape from a piece of fleece (what I use for the insides, you can use whatever kind of batting you want), and the fabric you have selected for the backing. Then stack them so the top and the back are right sides together and put your fleece on top of that. Pin and sew around, leaving a gap to turn. Be sure to back stitch at the beginning and end.

Then, turn right side in, iron, and invisible stitch (by hand) the gap closed. Iron again. Then top stitch however you choose. I decided to just do a stitch along the perimeter but you may also choose to top stitch wedges.



No comments:

Post a Comment