Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Vegetarian Pea Salad

Yesterday, I was looking for a good side dish with sloppy joes. We normally have french fries (or another kind of potato product) but we didn't want to turn the oven on. I looked online and most people suggested a cold salad, something you might find at the grocery store's deli, like a potato salad, pasta salad, or cole slaw. I didn't have the ingredients to make any of those and didn't feel like running out to the store so I decided a pea salad might do the trick!

I made the pea salad almost the exact same way I make tuna salad, but with a few changes. First, I rinsed the (frozen) peas in warm water until they were about room temperature. Then I added a dollop of mayo (I actually added too much because I underestimated how many peas I was using but that's just a rookie mistake), about 2 tablespoons of ranch dressing, a sprinkle of dill weed, a dash of garlic, and a small handful of shredded Colby Jack cheese. Mix it all together and put it in the fridge until the rest of your meal is ready. It comes together really easily and it's probably all things you already have on hand. Some people like to add bacon (but I didn't want to defrost any) and some people use cubed cheese rather than shredded but we had shredded on hand.

This salad would go with most things, especially those with a barbeque theme. It's also easy to customize it to your family's tastes. I know some people also use Greek yogurt instead of mayo to make it a little healthier.


By the way, we got our first little crop of tomatoes from our garden! One hot house and five cherry! Plenty of green ones left on the plants too. Nothing else really thrived in our garden this year but we'll see about next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment