Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

Ruby's Pantry

Our town just had their first Ruby's Pantry last night. For those of you who don't know, it's an organization that gets close to expiration date and surplus food and distributes it to whoever shows up (you need to register the first time you go). The leftovers get donated. If nobody came to this, the food would get thrown away. It seems crazy but it's true. It only costs $20 but you get a LOT of stuff. Last night, I easily got over $100 worth of food. I was shocked!

The food you get is different every time. We got hard boiled eggs, soda, bread, chicken, baby red potatoes, prepackaged mashed potatoes, individual cereals, whole wheat pasta, hot cocoa mix, coffee creamer, toilet paper, pizza lunchables,....the list goes on.

They said to bring two laundry baskets and when I left, I had my two baskets full plus another box. I didn't even take as much food as I could've (because it wouldn't fit)! Isn't that crazy?

I did have to stand in line (in the cold) for about 45 minutes and the whole process took about 2 hours but I think once our town has had a couple of them (it's once a month), we'll get speedier. Plus, since everyone was new, we all had to register and that took some time.

I should also mention that you don't need to be poor or on food stamps or anything to receive this food. It's for anyone who eats. I suppose some people might feel funny taking it but I felt like I was trick or treating. It was actually kind of fun. I'm looking forward to going back!


Here is everything I got. I should've spread it out on the island but I don't think it would've even all fit. The plastic bags are filled with the baby red potatoes and the sodas.

No comments:

Post a Comment