Pages

Monday, April 20, 2015

French Onion Soup Casserole

After receiving lots of French bread and onions from Ruby's pantry last week, I knew I needed a recipe to help use them up. When I say a lot of onions, I mean like 30. Plus the 30 we got last month. Even though the recipe I found only uses 3 or 4, that is still quite a bit.

The recipe is for French onion soup casserole. I was a little leery of this at first because I couldn't get over how many onions are in it. I will admit it's been 3 days and our kitchen still smells like onions (some people recommend cutting them outside for this reason). However, I do like onion soup so I thought I'd give it a try anyway.

For more protein, I served it with a side of shrimp sprinkled with some garlic and tossed in butter but with all the cheese in the casserole, you'd probably be fine serving it as a main dish as well.

The only change we made was to use mozzarella cheese instead of Swiss because that's what we have on hand. I will also mention that the bread we used was the kind that is mostly baked but needs about 5 more minutes in the oven to finish. We left it as was and didn't do the full baking ahead of time. We also must've cut our slices of bread too thick (about an inch or more) because we couldn't push them down into the casserole halfway through baking. This wasn't a problem and I liked the thickness of the bread. We probably could've just flipped the bread over before adding the cheese and it would've been the same effect. However, our way, we got to keep the crunchy topping from the first 15 minutes of baking.

So I gotta say, I really did not have the highest of hopes for this recipe. I was sure the onions would be too much and it might be bland. David agreed with me. We were both scared to try it but once we did, we couldn't stop eating it! This casserole was so unbelievably good that we will definitely be making it again! It was actually quite surprising to us but I have already recommended this recipe to the other people I know that go to Ruby's pantry (to help use up those onions!). This was definitely a 5/5 in my book.

P.S. This is my 300th post!

No comments:

Post a Comment