Pages

Monday, May 4, 2015

Another Banana Bread Recipe

Banana bread is something that doesn't stick around for long in this house. Even Baby likes to eat it! I already have a tried and true recipe from my mom that I like to make and I already have a butterless recipe to speed things up. Now, I have a butterless recipe that uses coconut milk! We don't care for coconut but we are still trying to use it up from Ruby's Pantry.

The recipe is pretty basic and comes together quickly. I did leave out the shredded coconut for our tastes. I also left out the almond extract, simply because we don't keep that on hand. I used the all purpose flour and added more baking soda (like she suggested) to make up for it. Also, I used regular coconut milk and my bananas weren't overly ripe. This is actually my first time using regular bananas, instead of black ones but I think it turned out the same.

The recipe says it makes one loaf but don't be fooled! It makes one HUGE loaf. It was about a half inch from the top of my pan when I poured it in. That should've tipped me off to use two pans but I was already doubling the recipe (although making it twice, not doubling everything at once). I ended up with two loaves (with my doubled recipe) but I easily could've had four or maybe even six! It took an hour and twenty minutes to bake. I had to move my oven rack all the way to the bottom after an hour because the top was getting browner quicker than the inside was cooking. If I had split the recipe, this wouldn't've happened because the middle wouldn't need so much time to cook.

After the slight baking issues, this bread was really really good! We couldn't taste the coconut at all (a good thing! If you want to taste the coconut, people suggest using coconut oil as well). It was super moist and had a nice crust on it. We are never going to buy coconut milk on our own accord but we are already planning on making a third (and fourth) loaf to use up more of what we have!

No comments:

Post a Comment