Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Coconut and Lime Chicken

Because we somehow still have more coconut milk lurking in our fridge, we decided to cook with it again. I found this chicken recipe that would actually use up a lot of our Ruby's Pantry things. We also were having company over to celebrate my birthday so we had 5 adults, 1 child, and Baby. Everybody, even Baby and the picky child eater, loved this chicken!

I made a lot of changes from the original recipe so I will rewrite it the way I did it.

Ingredients:
  • chicken breasts. We had a package of 20 chicken breasts and I had no idea how many pounds that was so I pulled out 9 for our 6+ people. 
  • 3 T vegetable oil
  • lime juice
  • cumin (I don't measure spices, remember?)
  • 2 T soy sauce (low sodium)
  • salt
  • 2 T sugar
  • turmeric
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • chili powder (not a lot. This didn't turn out spicy at all, just flavorful)
Directions:
1. Thaw chicken. Place each piece between sheets of wax paper and pound with a meat mallet until even thickness.
2. Mix all remaining ingredients except for lime juice.
3. Put chicken and marinade in a ziploc bag and place in the fridge for up to two hours. (She doesn't recommend going longer than that because then the flavor gets too strong). I did mine for two hours. (Other commenters said they didn't notice a difference between 15 minutes and two hours so if you are short on time, I think it's okay)
4. Using our reversible grill/griddle, use the grill side over high heat to cook the chicken. Don't flip it for a few minutes on each side. Be sure to cut them open to tell if they are done.
5. Using a pastry brush, brush on lime juice (on one side). Put chicken under foil on plate while the rest of the chicken cooks.

I served this with green beans and potato wedges. This recipe turned out just fantastic. I give it a 9.5/10. You didn't even need a knife to cut the chicken! We will definitely make this again!
4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment