Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Mushroom Spinach White Sauce Lasagna Roll Ups

Whenever possible, I prefer to do lasagna roll ups instead of layered lasagna. Then I don't feel guilty serving it with bread (since it's less noodles per serving, less carbs)! I also think they are easier to eat and cut with a fork. For some reason, I really struggle with layered lasagna. I end up eating the layers one by one because I am unable to cut them. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, I found this recipe for the roll ups. I have made something similar before (check my posts from July of 2014 I believe---sorry no link back) but these were with a white sauce and I think that made them so much better.

I will say I left out the broccoli. That sounded like an odd combination to me and I get nervous when dinner has too many vegetables in it (too healthy=doesn't end up tasting good in my experience). Plus, all I had was frozen and I wasn't sure that was what they meant for the recipe. I didn't use fresh spices or fresh garlic (I used the spice version) but it worked out.

I followed the instructions and was surprised you cook the noodles after you cook everything else but it really does take that long (at least at my house) to boil the water. However, like with most recipes, she has you preheat the oven way too early. I would preheat it while your noodles are cooking.

Ours didn't turn brown on top, probably because of the foil and the directions never said to take the foil off but we ate it the way it was. This was so good! My husband and I both rated it a 9/10. I don't think I'd make any changes if I make it again but I will say that with prep time, this took us 2 hours to make. Definitely not going to get added to the weekly rotation!

I served it with bruschetta because I had a little leftover tomato and parmesan cheese to use up. I used the recipe that I used last April (again, check my archives). This also turned out great.

I would definitely eat both of these meals again and for once I agree with the servings per recipe. The lasagna makes 6 servings (2 roll ups a person).

No comments:

Post a Comment