Pages

Monday, July 13, 2015

Vegetarian Spinach Burgers

I am always on the lookout for new recipes, especially those that think outside of the box. You can only have so many recipes for say, hamburgers, before they all kind of blend together and become the same thing. However, I have to say the recipe I found to use up almost an entire, big plastic container of spinach is pretty genious. David and I were originally kind of scared to try it because it sounded so healthy (it has 8+ ounces of spinach in it!) but we are SO glad we gave in because this recipe was phenomenal!

This recipe  is quite simple and the ingredients are things we typically have on hand. I also threw in a couple chopped mushrooms because I had to use them up as well. I did use fresh spinach so I had to cook it down first (but no big deal). We also didn't have any onions on hand (I couldn't believe it either) so we used onion powder. As per usual, I didn't measure any of the spices or the cheese but I did measure the breadcrumbs. I did throw in a smidge more because of adding the mushrooms and probably having more spinach than called for. Next time, I would consider omitting the red pepper flakes. They didn't taste bad, I just can do without the heat. (I'm such a wimp when it comes to spice).

I served these on hamburger buns. My mom and I ate these plain but David put ranch on his. We were all really pleasantly surprised how well this turned out! I'm not convinced that spinach has all that much protein, plus being pregnant I really need to get a lot of protein, so we made scrambled eggs on the side (this puts those two egg yolks you don't need to good use too!).

You could pretty easily make these vegan. Just omit the cheese (which I'm not sure really added much any way) or you could use vegan cheese and then a binder of some sort to keep it all together. I'm not sure what that would be but I'm sure you vegans out there have some ideas (or it's probably google-able).

These were even good leftover! I will definitely be making these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment