Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Spare Pacifier Bag

At night, sometimes on purpose and sometimes on accident, my daughter's pacifier ends up outside of her crib. Or my eyes haven't yet adjusted to the dark and rather than turn on the light to find her pacifier, I grab a new one. They used to be stored in her diaper caddy thing by her changing table but since our changing station is being moved to a more central location for after the baby is born, that is no longer an option.

I saw you can buy these little pouches to store the extra ones that come with a tie so you can tie to the crib or around a doorknob or something but I figured I could sew one pretty easily. The one I made is actually for Little Boy's room but our daughter is using it for now until I find the time to sew hers.

I used flannel because I had some remnants of it in really cute baby prints but you could just as easily use a cotton. I wanted to use more than one print but you could use the same fabric for the inside and outside. I cut two pieces (one of each flannel) about 10in x 14 in. With a 1/4in seam allowance, I folded each in half (separately) and sewed around 2 sides (one side was the folded side so that doesn't need to be sewn and the other side is your top, which you want to leave open. Be sure if you are using directional fabric to keep track of which side the top is). Then I trimmed the excess off the seams to cut down on bulk (just cut close to your stitches, sort of like making your seam allowance smaller). I should also mention that for the outer fabric, you sew it right sides together and flip it. For the inner fabric, you sew it right sides together (and don't flip it). This way, your seams are in between the two pieces and hidden. Then put your inner fabric into your outer fabric. It should basically look like the end result now. Turn the top of your inner fabric over your outer fabric and tuck under the edge and sew all the way around (so you don't have a raw edge at the top of your bag).

To make this easy to tie to something, I cut a piece of ribbon (I guessed on the length. I think mine ended up about 7 inches long) and I sewed the middle of the strip to the top of the bag. This will show your stitches but it was the easiest method I could come up with and I was making this up as I went along.

My finished product looks like this:
I know it's not really fair to take a picture of a green bag next to a green wall but it was the best I could do. I hope the picture also clears up any confusion in the instructions because I realize they might be a bit hard to understand. Any questions, leave in the comments below and I will try to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment