Pages

Friday, July 31, 2015

Zucchini Crust Pizza

When we were at the farmer's market last weekend, we bought a HUGE zucchini for 75 cents. I'm sure there have been bigger zucchini's in record books but this thing was fatter and longer than my forearm! Luckily, I had been stockpiling zucchini recipes for a day like this.

The first one we made was zucchini crust pizza. Most people have probably heard of cauliflower crust pizza with the new gluten free everything but I have heard mixed reviews from people that don't need a gluten free diet. I decided the zucchini might be better but since I had never tried the cauliflower one either, I had nothing to lose.

The recipe I used also had a recipe for topping it but we did it our own way. We only used the link for the crust. Our crust came out a little soggy in the middle and I think this might've been because I was getting impatient for the zucchini to cool so I didn't wring it out as much as I should have.

We also made a few other changes. We left out the Parmesan (because we didn't have any), used all-purpose flour instead of almond meal, and added an extra tablespoon of flour to try to combat some of the liquid left in the zucchini. I don't know if the oregano I used was Greek or Turkish or something completely different but it still tasted fine. Aside from the egg and the flour, I also didn't measure anything.

Instead of making this into two smaller pizzas, we made it into one bigger one on a cookie sheet (in the oven). I would be interested in grilling it too.

Then we topped it with pasta sauce (cheaper than store-bought pizza sauce and practically the same thing. I have considered making my own sauce and have in the past but it's not worth it to me), lots of mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. I noticed a difference in flavor and texture than our regular crust pizza but it still tasted great! We usually give our 18 month old the crust from our pizza and with this one, she was eating it faster than I could cool it off! Yay for giving her veggies! (We have tried in the past to give her everything, not just the crust, but she doesn't seem to like it).

I would definitely make this again but it does come out a little time consuming. However, it's all easy so it's well worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment