Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Recovery From a C-Section

My first child was born via c-section because she was breech. They ended up over-numbing me and it took almost an entire day for me to feel all the way to my toes. The hospital stay was pretty rough. They did have me up and moving once I had full feeling back and that first time on my feet was intense pain that I could barely handle. However, the nurses said I was doing well because I wasn't fainting, dizzy, shaky, or screaming.

I am glad my husband stayed overnight in the hospital with me because I was completely helpless when it came to taking care of the baby. I could barely hold her (due to the only "natural" position putting pressure on my incision and floppy, sore belly), I couldn't get up to get her or change her diaper, I needed help getting the hang of breastfeeding (unrelated to the surgery), and I couldn't put her back in her Tupperware for sleep (what we called her bassinet because that's what they look like).

When I got home, my mom was here and waited on me hand and foot. I basically lived in my bedroom because stairs were an impossibility for about a week so I was unable to come down for meals and such. We even had a card table set up in the bedroom for us to eat our meals. My husband was a great help (as was my mom of course!) and I don't know what I would've done without them. I was unable to retrieve my baby from her crib down the hall when she called at night, I wasn't comfortable standing long enough to change a diaper, and doing any sort of activity for myself (even as simple as showering) was a luxury I no longer had. (This is just talking about the pain and recovery, not the change from having a newborn too).

After a week and a half, I was actually able to move around more and feel like a person again. Keep in mind, this was actually fast according to the drs. I had no complications and passed my six week post partum check up.

That was 19 months ago.

On the 19th of August, I had a repeat c-section for my second child. I felt more during surgery but I think it was easier going because my body and I knew what to expect. I still had that intense pain the first time they had me up and walking and my walks around the maternity ward were very slow going. However, by the second day, my bed was hurting me enough (mostly just sore from not moving much and the spacing between where the bed goes up and down for your top and bottom half was digging into my back) that I felt encouraged to get up and move around more. The more you can move around, the better but definitely don't push yourself.

When we got home, I didn't live in my bedroom quite as much. I mostly stayed downstairs and just went up for bedtime but even then, I was moving more than I did the first time around. I still took it easy when it came to baby duties and per doctor's orders (with all c-sections and probably all deliveries), I can't pick up my first born because she weighs over 15 pounds. So this time, rather than everyone taking care of me, everyone is taking care of my older daughter so I can try to take care of my newborn. I can only imagine how hard life will be now that my mom has left for home and soon my husband will be back to work.

It's only been a week but I basically feel like myself. I just have to really take it easy and not strain myself. I have noticed a burning sensation in one of my hips and when I called the doctor about it, she said it is probably a nerve that got pinched in my inside stitches. Ouch! So because of that, I am a little less mobile than I think I would be otherwise (it's actually quite painful but thankfully, it comes and goes).

In general, I have heard that the second c-section is easier than the first and other than having to take care of your first child on top of it, I think people are right. I haven't had any serious complications and I'm doing much better than I expected. Even in the hospital, everyone commented on how well I was doing (I was especially happy to hear this from the people who were there the first time around so they can compare). But I have also had a lot of help at the hospital and at home and I am not afraid to say I can't do something or ask for help with it because of the surgery. I can't stress enough that you shouldn't push yourself by any means. If you are recovering slower, take the time you need.

Of course, a VBAC is much less recovery and I had been rooting for one with this second baby but it just didn't turn out that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment