Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Bean "Meat" Balls

I love meatballs. Spaghetti and sauce doesn't have enough protein for me but meatballs can be a lot of work. I try not to buy frozen, pre-made stuff so I don't make them very often.

I found these beanballs! They are totally worth making but they might be even more work than meat ones. I will definitely make them again though!

I made a few changes (nothing major) so I will list what I did here.

Ingredients:
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2-3/4 cup oats
onion powder
Italian seasoning
1 egg
garlic powder

Blend the two cans of beans together, adding just a little water to make a paste. (I think it took just a couple tablespoons). Transfer beans to a bowl and add the other ingredients, saving the oats for last. Use as many oats as you need to make the balls form. Form balls and bake on a greased baking sheet at 450 for 20 minutes. (I followed the recipe for the temp but I think it was too high. Next time, I'll bake at 400 and maybe add a few more minutes on the end. They were a little too dry at 450).

I served them with the tomato sauce (previous post) and pasta but I used the leftover ones to make burritos (tortilla, couple beanballs, cheese, and salsa). They weren't quite enough flavored for me and the dryness made them need a sauce but I think by reducing the oven temp and either serving with pasta sauce or salsa, they're great!

My kids ate these too. My daughter loves meatballs probably more than I do and she never even suspected they weren't meat. With her, I follow a "don't ask, don't tell" policy or she would never try it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment