Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Reusable Menstrual Cups

I have mostly made the transition to reusable (cloth) menstrual pads but I still have to sew a few more. I was waiting for my Moon Cup to arrive to see how many more I would need to make. I got it a few weeks ago but it wasn't the right time to test it out but now I can!

For those of you who don't know, the Moon Cup is a reusable menstrual cup. It's made of silicone and collects, rather than absorbs, the blood. This is much healthier for the body and because you simply rinse it out and use it again and again, it is better for the environment too. This is a good alternative to tampons, if you were looking for one.

I decided to give it a try (I should probably mention that I am in no way affiliated with this company. I am simply a person who was curious about it and wanted to tell you all my thoughts about it. I am not getting compensated for this review). Basically, it's amazing! When I opened the package, I was surprised at how small it was. I know that sounds odd because most people say how huge it is but I guess I thought they really meant big so when mine came, I was expecting like a...Dixie cup or something. It still takes some maneuvering to get in the right spot and there are several folds to help you do this. I'm not going to go into how to use it because there are so many different ways but basically, it will take a little bit of time so be patient and relaxed. You probably couldn't get tampons right the first time either.

Once properly sealed, there are no leaks! You can wear it for up to 12 hours, but even if it's full before then, you don't have to carry around any extra pads or tampons or try to calculate how many you'll need for the time you are away from home. Like I said before, you simply rinse it out and reinsert it! How great is that?! It's comfortable, once you get the hang of it and it really improves period life. It can be a bit messy, especially at first, but I don't find it any more messy than a pad or tampon once you get used to it all.

I have always been one of those girls who hates her period and tries to plan her life around it because it just seems to take over but no longer! My cup is great and reusable pads, whether as backup or an alternative, also seem to make my period more enjoyable. I really recommend trying either or both and see how your life can improve. I realize this sounds kind of fake and unbelievable but trust me, it's so true! Once I use up all my disposables, I will never go back. I also plan on introducing my daughter to all of this in 10+ years (when she's old enough--she's a baby right now).

No comments:

Post a Comment