Pages

Friday, October 24, 2014

Amped Up Green Bean Casserole

Everybody loves green bean casserole. It's featured at lots of holiday events and in our house, we have it as a side dish to a regular dinner as well. I came across a recipe on pinterest (but I am unable to link it so I'm sorry. It's not my recipe and I'm trying to give credit where credit is due but I can't do it this time) that sounded quite intriguing. It's green bean casserole but as a dinner!

Ingredients:
  • 3 diced potatoes (uncooked), we used red
  • ham cubes, about 1 cup
  • 1 bag frozen green beans, thawed (we used fresh and just cut them smaller--about a pound)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
Mix all ingredients together. Bake (covered) at 375 for an hour. Top with breadcrumbs or crushed Ritz crackers.

I was at a doctor appointment for my baby so I had my husband make dinner. This means a few things ended up different.  He didn't cover it when he baked it (but I didn't notice until I was typing this up so if you forget too, it's not a huge deal). And he didn't want to top it with breadcrumbs because he thought it was too much work. I decided that this actually turned out better because I then topped mine with French fried onions. Next time, I will put the onions on everybody's and I may even add onion to the mixture (regular or fried).

This was super good and I would definitely make it again. I don't always like making things with canned ingredients (like the soup) but it helps make it easier. Dinner was ready by the time we got settled back at home after the doctor so everything worked out!

No comments:

Post a Comment