Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Cheesy Quinoa Bites and Buckeye Balls with Rice Krispies

A long time ago, I pinned these cheesy quinoa bites but I never got around to making them. I made something similar, veggie egg bites (sorry I don't have the link back but you should be able to search for it in my history of posts) and those were amazing so I expected good things from these.

They were great! I do have the complaint that there is a 1:3 ratio for dry quinoa vs cooked and the recipe calls for 2 cups cooked quinoa. That doesn't really make for easy measuring for the dry, so I just did a half cup of dry. However, I didn't change any of the amounts of the other ingredients. I think they turned out just fine. I did leave out the green onion and I substituted the cilantro for parsley. I also did cheddar cheese instead of Parmesan, just because it was what I had on hand. We baked them for 15 minutes but weren't sure when they were supposed to be done. We figured since they held their shape after taking them out of the pan, they were done. Next time, I might add more vegetables to the mix. It was a LOT of quinoa per bite.

I will also mention that we only got 6 and a half bites out of this. Granted, our muffin tray is a little big but it's not jumbo or anything. Even if we used a mini muffin tray, there is no way I would've got 20+ bites out of this. Maybe I made that much less quinoa? I don't know. I can't figure it out but it was plenty of food for David and me.

For dessert, I made peanut butter balls with rice krispies. These are extremely similar to buckeye balls. In fact, I think they're the same thing, just with the addition of the cereal. I like them better with the cereal too. I like the crunch it gives it with a different texture. We weren't able to fully coat ours with chocolate but I like them even without the chocolate! We will definitely be making these again! We only did a half hour in the fridge for the balls without chocolate and then an hour in the freezer with the chocolate. Best of all, you don't have to soften butter ahead of time or even bake them!

No comments:

Post a Comment