Pages

Monday, March 2, 2015

Blueberry Lemon Cookies

I know this is another blueberry recipe but I still had more to use up (they were on sale really cheap so I basically bought them in bulk!). I got the recipe here but it's divided between two pages. This was really obnoxious to me when I was trying to bake them so I will repost it all below. Note: This is the original recipe. My changes will follow.

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
zest of 1 lemon
3 Tbsp lemon juice
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups blueberries
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Directions:
1. In an electric bowl mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition, add lemon zest and juice, and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
4. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients into the batter.
5. Carefully fold in the blueberries after all the ingredients have been mixed together.
6. Allow dough to cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour and up to overnight.
7. Preheat oven to 350.
8. Use a small scoop (about 1 tbsp size) and place rounded balls of dough on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or foil (or non-stick cookie sheets).
9. Bake for 11-14 minutes, until the bottoms are slightly golden brown (the edges should not brown).

Instead of the lemon zest and juice, I just used a little lemon extract. I also used all purpose flour, rather than cake flour. I never understood buying all those different types of flours. I don't know how much of a difference it really makes. I only buy all purpose and whole wheat and those are different, for obvious reasons.

I noticed the recipe didn't say when to add the vanilla so I added it when it says to add the lemon, since my lemon was also an extract. We cooled our dough for about 24 hours because we kind of forgot about it. When we baked, we realized how stupid it is to say "cook until the bottoms are brown" when you can't see the bottoms! We kind of guessed. One of our batches was a little darker than the other but they both turned out fine. I don't know if they would've been over done had the edges been brown too but I try to follow recipes carefully.

I will mention that this recipe made about 2 dozen cookies (and we ended up sharing about half of them as a thank you to David's parents for watching our baby for her very first sleepover!). They had a scone-like consistency, but they were really good. I'm actually not a huge fan of lemon so I found that a bit overpowering but the people who tried them and like lemon said they were fantastic. I would probably make these again, keeping my changes, but I'm not sure it's worth it to refrigerate the dough before baking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment