Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits

We love pot pies in this house but the recipes I have used in the past are really time consuming, especially if you make your own crust. It just doesn't seem worth it to me to spend 3 hours (literally) making dinner when it takes 5 minutes to wolf down. So I found a new recipe to make chicken pot pie.

I adapted it from a couple different recipes but a big difference with my end result is that it uses refrigerator biscuits, rather than a crust. I suppose you could use a refrigerator pie crust instead but I like the idea of the biscuits.

This is the recipe I came up with, taking mostly from here :

  • 1/3 bag of frozen mixed vegetables (about 2 -2.5 cups)
  • 1 tube of 10 count biscuits (the little ones)
  • 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I made this the night before to make the pot pie faster)
  • dash of garlic powder
  • dash of onion powder
  • 1 can of cream of chicken soup (I used reduced sodium but it doesn't matter)
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • salt and pepper to taste (but I didn't use any of either. I think the broth and cream of chicken soup are salty enough, even when they are reduced sodium)
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Cook all your vegetables according to package instructions (a few minutes in the microwave). They don't have to be hot. Basically, you just need them thawed. Set aside. 
3. Melt your butter over medium heat. When melted, add in flour and stir constantly. Then whisk in your milk, broth, and soup. Let come to a slight boil and cook for one minute (to thicken). 
4. Take pot off heat and add in your vegetables, chicken, and seasonings. Stir until well combined.
5. Pour into a 9x13 baking dish and bake for 18 minutes. 
6. Take out of oven and top with your (raw) biscuits. Cook for an additional 10 minutes (or until your biscuits are cooked). 

This came out delicious! The first day, my sauce was a little thin but it was much better the second day. I think I enjoyed it even more as leftovers! I will definitely be making this recipe again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment