Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Homemade Pizza Sauce

At Ruby's this past month, they gave us a lot of tomatoes and pizza crusts (among other things of course). I decided to use our remaining tomatoes to make our own pizza sauce. I looked around online and found a non-cook one since I wanted it to be fast. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is in the end result. Maybe I'm missing out on something.

Anyway, I chopped up 4 (on the vine) tomatoes into chunks small enough I thought my blender could handle it (I think each tomato was in about six pieces). I scooped out as much of the seeds and liquid part as I could because I didn't want a runny sauce. Then I added some italian seasoning, garlic, a splash of balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt. It was still pretty liquidy so I added a handful of spinach leaves. This helped things. It did turn the sauce a kind of brownish-purple but I wasn't going for looks. I figured it would be hidden under the cheese anyway. After adding the spinach, I was in an add veggie kind of mood so I added some chopped bell peppers (red, orange, yellow, and green) and I looked for our shredded carrots but couldn't find any (we need to reorganize our freezers again). Once that was all blended, it still seemed thinner than I would've liked but I decided to just spoon it on as it was. (I should also mention that I tasted it to make sure I had got the seasoning the way I wanted it to be.)

This was actually a good idea because on the crust it was a lot thicker than it looked in the blender. So really, it turned out great. On top of the sauce I added cheese and pepperoni. Then baked. This turned out SO good! Our kitchen smelled amazing (mostly from the seasonings I think) and we couldn't wait to eat it. It was better than take-out in my opinion. I'm not sure what the crust was since we don't usually get things that include labels from Ruby's but I think a basic homemade crust would've been just as good. Plus, you get the veggie boost from the sauce making this pizza ever so slightly healthier.

With the amount of sauce it made, it covered our two crusts (for smaller pizzas, about the size of a small at Domino's I believe) and we will have enough for 2-3 more. I have heard that pizza sauce is very freezable so we will do that so it is ready for next time. I couldn't believe how well this turned out though! Even our somewhat picky toddler liked it! (She's not exactly picky. She likes almost everything she tries but getting her to try it is the hard part).

No comments:

Post a Comment