Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Mushroom Spinach Meatloaf

When I am at the grocery store, I always have good intentions of eating healthy for that upcoming week. I buy lots of fresh produce and not much meat or processed foods. Then I get home and realize that I'm not that healthy and I have to scramble to figure out how to use up all those vegetables! 

My latest buy was a lot of baby bella mushrooms and some spinach. I came across this recipe and knew it would be good! I love using mushrooms, especially portobella ones to make meat stretch a little farther. Most of the time, you don't even notice the difference. 

As always, I made a few modifications to the original recipe so here is what I did.

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 8oz package of baby bella mushrooms
1 cup spinach
1 egg
handful of breadcrumbs
1/4 cup ketchup

Directions:
In a small skillet, cook up spinach. Meanwhile, in a food chopper, finely chop up the mushrooms. When spinach is done, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Then put in a lightly greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

This recipe is so simple and quick to prep. It is also DELICIOUS! I do admit the spinach is a little odd in there but maybe if you chop it first it would blend in better. I would also think shredded or grated carrots could be good in it but I haven't tried it. As with any meatloaf recipe, I topped this one with extra ketchup. I don't think I would ever add ketchup to spinach or mushrooms but with the ground beef, it doesn't seem to be as weird as it sounds. 

I will definitely make this again but probably without the spinach (or smaller spinach pieces). 

No comments:

Post a Comment