Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Spinach and Sweet Potato Turkey Burgers

We all know that turkey is healthier for us than ground beef. However, due to its lower fat content, it can be harder to make taste good because it has a tendency to come out dry. This is when you have to get creative. Luckily for me, someone else did all the work with coming up with this recipe for turkey burgers.

The recipe is really simple. Mix 1 1/2 cups of sweet potato puree with 1 pound ground turkey. Add in a handful of spinach (no need to precook, unless it already is precooked), garlic, and onion powder. Form patties and cook on medium-high heat, 3-4 minutes per side.

Mine came out a little crumbly and after the fact, I noticed in the comments that some people did have this problem. The solution is to either add an egg or chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes before cooking. They still tasted good crumbled. We ate them in tortilla shells instead of a bun then. I also served these with chips and salsa and I'm not entirely sure what a better side would have been. Maybe fries or potatoes of some sort? Or you could chop them up (or eat them crumbled) on top of a salad for extra veggies!

You can barely taste the sweet potato or spinach so this recipe is perfect for people who don't really like veggies. I actually used a blend of spinach, kale, and swiss chard and I don't think it altered the flavor too much (especially since you can barely taste it anyway!). I could also see adding cheese, chopped bell peppers, carrots, or seasonings (other than garlic and onion) and having them still turn out good. They seem very versatile and are easy. They're also quick! I will definitely make these again and I rate them an 8/10!


No comments:

Post a Comment