Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Cocoa the Escape Artist

So as I mentioned in the introductions, we have a bunny named Cocoa. We got her several weeks ago so I think she is about 3 and a half months old. She is adorable and we love her to pieces but she escapes from everything we put her in! Originally we had a pen for her made out of 24 inch high (2 feet) baby gates. She figured out how to climb them within two days of us putting them up. Then, while we were coming up with a more permanent solution, we kept her in her cage (don't worry, when we were around she would still be in her pen and getting plenty of exercise). She learned how to get out of her cage. For the past week or so, we have her in a slightly bigger area with 36 inch (3 feet) fencing bolted to the walls with wood panels on the bottom so she can't escape that way. We figured she's only about 8 inches tall (with all four feet on the ground), something 4 and a half times her height should be plenty! Well, she proved us wrong. Yesterday, she was very intent on jumping near her fence. Now, she does this all the time because she has crazy amounts of energy and is just a silly rabbit so I didn't think anything of it. Plus, up until this point, no matter how hard she jumped, she still had at least 6 inches to a foot before she reached the top of the fence. Well this time, she got her paws up on top of the fence and I got scared she was going to make it over so I called my husband at work to see what I could do until he could come home and do something better for her pen. As I'm on the phone with him, she jumps (from the ground) and makes it over the fence. Needless to say, I had to hang up the phone and chase her before she started chewing on the computer cords or ripping up the carpet. I actually caught her fairly quickly but now we are at a loss as to what to do next. As it is, David and I have a hard time getting in and out of her pen (to feed her, change her litter and water, spend time with her). Any suggestions would be must appreciated but in the meantime, we just have her on constant surveillance since she seems incontainable!

No comments:

Post a Comment