Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

Homemade Turkey Pot Pie with Biscuits

I have made a homemade, from scratch pot pie before but I didn't save the recipe. I have blogged about it before and it was quite a time consuming recipe (about 3 hours if I remember right). I would've gladly made it again because my husband had rated it a 10/10 but no matter how I searched, I was unable to find the recipe again.

Because the crust is the hardest part for me and we had a biscuit mix to use up, I decided to top it with biscuits instead of a full crust. This is a common thing but I'm not sure if you can still call it pie then but oh well. For the first time ever, I made up my own recipe for something complicated (I've done pasta dishes, stir fries, soups, etc before but the pot pie seems more difficult).

Ingredients:
  • cooked turkey (I used our leftover shredded turkey from Thanksgiving. I'm not quite sure how much turkey it was but it's up to you how much you want to use. I will guess about 1 1/2-2 cups)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup (or whatever cream of you want), not diluted
  • 2-3 good sized potatoes, chopped in bite size pieces
  • a can of peas (I actually don't really like canned peas but I had bought them once when frozen just wasn't going on sale. I ended up not making the recipe I had bought them for so now they were just taking up space in the pantry. You can easily substitute in frozen)
  • corn, about 1/3 of a bag
  • 1 cup water or broth
  • carrots, about 2 whole (chopped)
  • garlic, to taste
  • salt, to taste
  • onion powder (I was too lazy to chop up an onion. You can use either)
  • biscuit mix
Directions:
  1. Add the potatoes, water, and frozen ingredients (for us, this was the corn, carrots, and turkey) to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally. Cook until potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes. 
  2. Add remaining non-frozen vegetables or meat (for us, just the peas).
  3. Then stir in the seasonings and cream of mushroom soup. Stir until everything is well coated. Be sure to taste for the seasonings. I ended up using a lot more salt than I thought I would. (I assumed the soup would take care of the saltiness but it didn't work out that way). 
  4. Turn down to a simmer and continue to stir occasionally.
  5. While that simmers, make your biscuits according to the mix directions.
  6. Grease a 9x13 pan. Preheat oven to 375.
  7. Add the soup/meat/vegetable mixture to the pan and top with biscuits. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until biscuits are browned. Enjoy!
I will admit this reicpe wasn't as good as our original (about an 8/10) but it took about half the time to make and tastes fantastic leftover, even the biscuits!

No comments:

Post a Comment