Pages

Monday, February 16, 2015

Squash and Spinach Lasagna

My mom came up this weekend because my brother had an interview at a college nearby. She always brings vegetables with her in the chance that I can use them in our dinners, since they won't get eaten back at home without her there. This time, she brought me half a bag of spinach. I searched around and decided on a lasagna. Here is the recipe.

I happened to have the 2 cups of squash puree in my freezer already from fall. I basically had to buy the rest of the ingredients to make this, even the lasagna noodles but I got lucky and most of it was on sale this week. I did substitute cottage cheese for ricotta because it's cheaper but I think that's the only change I made. I will also mention that I used regular lasagna noodles, not the no-boil kind.

This turned out GREAT but I think my squash sauce was a bit runnier than the pictures showed (it worked out just fine though). I also didn't have as much of a spinach mixture as the pictures but it had enough cheese that it worked out okay too. I'm not sure if I used less spinach than was called for or not; I just had that half a bag and I cooked it up ahead of time so it got even smaller.

I prepped everything before I had to go to church and then I put it in the fridge and baked it when I got home. This was such a time saver because the prep took longer than I was expecting. I know the recipe says an hour but I somehow didn't think it would take that long.

My husband wasn't feeling good but ate this anyway. He rated it a 9/10. He thinks that if he wasn't sick, it would be a full 10. My mom also loved this, but that was to be expected. My brother doesn't like any sort of vegetables, lasagna, or even cheese (he's really quite picky). I did convince him to try a half a slice and he actually had about 3 bites! Of course, he still said he didn't like it but I was just ecstatic that he tried it, because with him, even trying something is a big deal.

I will very likely make this again but now I have to wait til fall because I'm out of squash and it's not really in season anymore. It is time consuming but it's quite simple to make. I definitely recommend this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment