Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Blueberry Breakfast Cake

I purchased some blueberries this past week but they have an odd texture to them, like they aren't quite ripe or something. I can't figure it out but I didn't want them to go to waste so I thought I'd use them to bake. I found this recipe on Pinterest and I think it turned out great! I can't even taste the weirdness with the blueberries and I'd be interested in trying it with other berries as well.

I did make a few changes, as usual. Instead of lemon zest, I used lemon extract. I also didn't coat the blueberries in flour. I never understood that step. I have skipped it in other recipes and I have done it for other recipes and I can't figure out what it's supposed to change. Nothing seems different to me so without doing it, it's less work and less wasted flour.

I also don't think my butter was quite up to room temp by the time I used it because it didn't mix smoothly but it turned out okay. We baked it for 35 minutes and tested it with a toothpick. The toothpick came out clean so we waited the 15 minutes before cutting it. Turns out, it wasn't done afterall. It was a little soupy in the middle. Since it just has the one egg and we don't worry about Salmonella as much as we probably should, we've been eating it anyway. It still tastes great but I would recommend cooking yours all the way through.

Also, I don't usually add the sugar topping to recipes like this because I don't like the "crunch" of the sugar crystals but it works really well with this cake. This is perfect to serve for breakfast. I actually had it this morning with a side of yogurt and it was excellent!

I would definitely make this again and I'd be curious to try it with strawberries. With a bit of lemon, it might be like strawberry lemonade!

No comments:

Post a Comment