Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

DIY Curtain Rods

I mentioned in my previous post that our curtain rods were not store bought, expensive ones. Rather, David made them himself. I'm not sure where he got the idea from but this is his method (to the best of my own knowledge. I don't always know what he's up to.) First, you measure your window and decide the appropriate length for the rod (in our dining room, we extended six inches on either side of the window but it's really personal preference). Then you go to the stove and buy conduit. Ours was galvanized and 10 feet long. We also bought a bronze metallic spray paint to match the hardware and ends we picked out. (You do want to buy these things, for sure the hardware for hanging the pipe. It's not that expensive. The ends can be expensive but we're looking into how to do those ourselves too). Then you go home and using a pipe cutter (it kind of looks like a clamp with a blade in the middle of it), you cut your pipe at your desired length.

If you so choose, this is when you paint it. To get it even, we used a foot hold on a tree (like the kind you use for deer stands when you go hunting). You do have to turn it while spraying it to get it even. Also, bugs are attracted to it (we couldn't figure out why but it was kind of annoying to keep them off. Maybe do yours inside?) Then you wait for it to dry and put up the hardware (according to the directions). You put up your pipe with your curtains on it and voila! You're done. I think the total price of the pipe plus the paint was 5 dollars or less. If you buy an actual curtain rod, you will pay from 25-50 dollars (if not even more). This looks just as nice, doesn't take that much time or work, and I think is totally worth it. We got all the supplies at Menard's but I would assume you could buy it from any home improvement store.

(I'm sorry I don't have a picture to show you. Uploading pictures from my phone isn't working lately and who knows where my real camera is.)

No comments:

Post a Comment