Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

How to Correct a Sagging Mattress

Because this seems to be such an important topic in my life, I feel like I've written about it before but then again, I do have over 100 posts so it's kind of hard to keep track of what I've already written about it. Anyway, after trying many things, we have finally fixed our mattress!

For those of you who don't know, our mattress is not that old. When I say not that old, I don't mean less than 20 years like my dad would. I mean it's like 2 or 3 years. The sag was of course in the middle and we would both get sucked into it. Need to get out of bed in an emergency? Good luck. You weren't going to go anywhere.

First, we tried putting it on the floor (no box spring, no bed frame). It was really low and actually quite a pain to get down to but we figured if it helped, it'd be worth it. It somehow didn't help. To be honest, I'm still not sure why that one didn't work out.

Then we tried putting a big sheet of plywood between the mattress and the boxspring. I believe it was like a quarter inch thick or something. I'm sure David would know (and I'd let you know in the comments if you wanted to try this method). This temporarily worked but not for long. Plus, we never cut off the end that was sticking out (it was longer than the bed) so we started storing things on there (in most households, anytime a flat surface is clean, it's not going to take long before stuff gets piled on it). We thought this would work because despite putting the mattress on the floor, we were still convinced it was the boxspring's fault.

We had thought up some other ideas like putting books or rolled up towels or other things that other people suggested online between the bed and the boxspring but these all sounded too stupid to execute. We finally thought we just had to live with it.

Then, being the Menards fanatics we are (truly), we saw in their ad that these things called "furniture lifters" were on sale. Actually, free after rebate. We decided it would be our last attempt before we just deal with it. They were free anyway so it wasn't like we were wasting any money. They are these plastic-y (vinyl? for someone interested in crafts, I really need to learn my materials) little sheets that slide together and look like siding for a house. We put them all together in a straight row since we only needed it down the middle of our bed (they actually have designs in the instructions for what size bed you have but these cover the whole bed and we didn't think that was necessary). We slid them between the boxspring (ok, ok the plywood! We never took it out out of sheer laziness...) and the mattress and instantly they brought the sunken part of the mattress up. It was a miracle! It's been several days since and it's still perfect! I sure hope it stays this way but I would recommend these to ANYBODY, especially since through this weekend, they're free! David and I can't figure out what makes them work and we were very skeptical and probably wouldn't've gotten them if they weren't free but...now we couldn't be happier. I know how bad a bed can be for your back and everything and we were sleeping on slants so steep, we could never sleep flat. Try these if nothing else works.

(I am in no way affiliated with the furniture lifters nor am I being paid for this. I just really like them enough to write about them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment