Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Laundry Baskets

This weekend, David and I decided we needed more laundry baskets. We have a hamper that we put all our clothes in (we don't sort ahead of time like some people). We take that downstairs to our laundry room where I sort it. The problem is, besides the hamper, we only have 2 baskets. I can usually fit all our whites into one but our darks are usually 3-5 loads (depending on how long it's been since I've last done laundry. I aim to do laundry once a week, especially in summer because our dryer vent isn't hooked up to the outside yet so it all stays in the house and that can get really warm) and that doesn't fit in the one basket. So then some clothes have to stay in the hamper in order for me to fit everything. This means I sort at least twice. Then, my baskets are still full when my first load is ready to come out of the dryer. Therefore, I have to dump some of the dirty clothes on top of the chest  freezer so I have a clean basket for the clean clothes. It drives me crazy, plus I'm pretty sure I've lost a couple socks back there. So we finally invested in 2 more baskets.

I tried looking online to see how many baskets other people use and there doesn't seem to be a formula or anything. Some people even leave the hamper in the room, take a laundry basket and fill it up with the hamper, carry the laundry basket down, do the laundry, and come back up with the basket to be put away before they have to take the basket back down to the laundry room. Doesn't that sound like a lot of trips? I understand the people who do this when the bedrooms are on the same floor as the laundry facilities but ours are not. They're about as far away as they could be with stairs to contend with too.

I like the system as my parents' house because they have a laundry chute so you never have to carry the clothes down, just back up. We looked into doing that for this house but there just wasn't a good spot for it to all end up so I don't think that is a viable option for us. We also looked into moving our laundry room to the second floor where the bedrooms are, but again, the space we were looking at was just too small.

I suppose the solution could be to do laundry more often so I have less loads to do at a time but since we plan on using reusable diapers with Teeny and all those clothes changes that come with it, I feel like I'm going to have even more loads of laundry to do no matter how many days a week I do laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment