Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Beef Stroganoff With Cream of Mushroom Soup

I was looking for a way to use up sour cream I had bought on sale a couple weeks ago. I decided on stroganoff. David and I found a really good recipe for mushroom stroganoff a few years back but now that I require more protein (basically if I get anything less than 70 grams of protein a day, I feel really sick and can barely function. I'm hoping this goes away once Teeny is born because I find myself eating a lot of meat) we decided to look for a beef stroganoff recipe.

We asked David's mom for her recipe but after finding out that it takes an hour and a half just to simmer everything, closer to two hours for the whole recipe, we decided to search elsewhere. I know my mom uses cream of mushroom soup in hers so I looked up if Campbell's had a recipe and sure enough, they did! That's this recipe. We mostly followed it but didn't like some of their instructions so I'll rewrite it for you the way we did it.

1 pound round steak (we actually asked the guy behind the counter at the butcher part of our grocery store for his recommendation)
vegetable oil (we didn't measure since we pour it off later anyway but it was about three tablespoons)
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 cans cream of mushroom soup (not diluted)
2 sprinkles of paprika
1 cup sour cream
1 box of medium shells (noodles), cooked (I recommend starting the water for these when you're slicing up the beef. We thought the beef would take longer to cook so we didn't start right away and they weren't done at the same time).

1. Cut up the beef. My parents usually use ground beef for this recipe but David's family's recipe uses the round steak so that's what we used. I would've made the pieces even smaller but anything bite size is manageable.

2. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook beef until almost done, stirring often. Add the onions and continue to cook.

3. Pour off fat. With the onions in there, I'm really  not sure how David mastered this step because I would think it would be hard to keep the onions in the pan too but he did it.

4. Stir in soup and paprika. Heat to a boil (this really doesn't take long). Stir in sour cream. Cook until everything is heated through and serve on noodles.

And there you have it! It takes less than a half hour (even for people as inexperienced as us) and for the most part, these should be ingredients you can find in the pantry. It's even short on prep work so you really don't have an excuse.

If you notice, the original recipe only used 1 can of soup and 1/2 cup of sour cream. It was also only 4 cups of noodles, whereas we made the whole box so by doubling these ingredients, you get more sauce. Plus, some people in the comments on the original recipe complained the sauce was too thick and I think they made it more the right consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment