Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Log Cabin Pot Holder

I'm sorry I was unable to post yesterday due to technical difficulties. I finished my log cabin pot holder though! I found the pattern in a library book. It was rather simple to make, although a little tedious with all the cut, sew, cut, iron but it was fun. It was also my first real binding, since the other binding I've done was on my brother's blanket and I cheated by zigzagging the edges instead of folding them under. This time, the binding was real easy (except for putting it on the pot holder. I did struggle with that a little bit) because I got to use my brand new bias tape maker! I had bought mine on sale, but even if you don't find a sale, they're still only a few dollars and totally worth it.

This thing couldn't be any easier to use and it works amazing. You put in your strip of fabric and pull the maker along it. Out comes your edges folded over so all you have to do is iron as it comes out! I did pin mine too but I think it was unnecessary. Here is a picture of it in action.

So you see, the strip goes in (right side down) and goes through the metal piece. You pull the little metal tab along (no resistance at all!) and it comes out with your edges folded up! They make multiple sizes and mine is an inch, which I think is pretty versatile but I would still like other ones. The thing is really small so storage shouldn't be an issue. I love this thing!

So back to my pot holder. I did top stitch the whole thing but I forgot to use the bigger stitches. I think it looks fine but in the future, I need to remember to switch the stitch size. So this is the front.

 As you might be able to tell, I had a hard time with one of my corners still exposing the raw edges after I sewed it. Like I said, this was my first real binding. So the outside is all cotton (measuring to an 8 inch square) and the inside is supposed to be batting but I don't really keep that around so I used leftover fabric from my tote because that was batting between two pieces of cotton and I figured that was basically the same thing. The back is also cotton.

You can see that my binding on the back is wider than my binding on the front but that actually made it easier for me to sew. I'll still have to practice my bindings but now with my bias tape maker, I don't dread them! You can also see my top stitching really well on this side.

So it was a pretty easy project to make but did take a little time (doesn't everything?). I think an experienced person could make this in an hour or less but it took me about an afternoon.




No comments:

Post a Comment