Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

House Quilt Blocks

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am making a house quilt. Don't expect me to finish it anytime soon though because this is my first (and probably only) quilt and I have other projects going on right now too. With the design I'm doing, I needed to make two more houses (I was given 10 houses from David's mom who wasn't going to do anything with them). I didn't think it sounded too hard and I knew from looking up designs that there were lots of tutorials out there for making your own. My houses are all from different people (David's mom won them in some sort of drawing thing) so they are all different styles but basically the same (not that that makes any sense...sorry).

This is what I found to match them the best. The instructions even make two houses so it was perfect! I did have to tweak them a little bit (like when making the triangle squares) because I wasn't making two of the exact same house. The finished blocks are supposed to be 12 1/2 inches (with seam allowances, that gives you 12 inch blocks), which matches my other houses. However, I went wrong somewhere (probably in cutting because my cutting doesn't seem to be very accurate no matter what I do) and my houses are basically only 12 inches. I think I'm going to add a "border" to help my seam allowance so my houses aren't that much smaller than my originals. I know it's not my current seam allowances because David's mom approved of my houses and said that I'm getting really good at keeping those even.

These are my houses (sorry for the weird angle and the fact that they're in one picture).
Despite not understanding most sewing instructions, I was able to make these with minimal help from David translating what I was supposed to do. As you can see though, especially on the green and black house, not all my strips are the same length so I'm probably going to have to cut them straight before adding my border. I am pleasantly surprised with how they turned out though. What's funny is that when picking out the fabrics I thought for sure the one on the left would turn out prettier than the one on the right but now that they're done, I like the one on the right better.

No comments:

Post a Comment