Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Broccoli Quinoa Quesadillas

The other day, I was looking for a recipe that used quinoa. We bought a box a while back and I totally lost the recipe for it I wanted to make. This is what I found. Broccoli quinoa quesadillas (try saying that ten times fast!). In the link, you have to scroll past the blog post about the cast iron cookware to get to the recipe.

These were really good and could easily be made vegan. They're also really quick and easy to make (even the quinoa only takes ten minutes to cook). The recipe says that they make 4 servings though and there is just no way. I even upped the broccoli to a cup, instead of a half cup. We were lucky we even got two out of this recipe.

We also broiled them in the oven instead of cooking on the stove top. Only one side browned because we were afraid they would fall apart if we flipped them. They still turned out delicious and we actually do it this way for all our quesadillas (for a while, we were making quesadillas a LOT).

I would be interested in using a different vegetable next time. Broccoli just seems like a weird addition to me. It did remind both David and I of the broccoli cheesy rice casserole (I may or may not have the recipe on here but it's essentially cream of mushroom soup, broccoli, cheese, and rice). We both really like that so we did like these but the broccoli was too chunky. Maybe peas or something smaller would be better.

I didn't add any salt or pepper but I would also be interested in adding in some sort of spice (cumin maybe? paprika?) and see what that does for it. They're not bland, mostly because of the cheese but I do feel they need something.

We would definitely make them again but if we ever had to serve four people with them, we'd double or maybe even triple it.

No comments:

Post a Comment