Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Brats with Noodles

I am awful at remembering to defrost meat for dinner. This usually means we end up with vegetarian, fish, or brats. Last night, this meant brats. I didn't want the usual brat recipes I usually make though because I like to try new things. This recipe came to my rescue. I knew we would like it because we both really like noodles and we never mind green beans.

I did make some changes. For instance, I used cream of celery soup because I just wasn't convinced that cream of mushroom would taste good. Plus, I have found more uses for cream of mushroom and I only had one can of that left. We also used shredded cheese instead of the Velveeta style simply because that's what we had. I think it worked out just fine.

One problem with this recipe is when we were simmering, the mixture bubbled up (while the noodles were being drained so we didn't have our eyes on it) and pushed the lid off and made such a mess! I'm not sure why this happened because we didn't have the heat any higher than we do other times we simmer. So we lost a lot of sauce that way but the end result was still good.

I would make it again but I suppose we'll have to keep a closer eye on the sauce. I did like how quick and simple this recipe was. You cook the brats first, then when the sauce is simmering, start your noodles and everything should be done about the same time. David and I are awful at timing everything to get done at the same time (it really is an art my mom says) so I'm thankful for recipes like this where it doesn't take much planning to get right.

Next time, I will also add more beans. I'm not sure if we had more noodles (we just used a whole box) than sauce or what but the beans seemed to have been forgotten. David didn't think so though.

No comments:

Post a Comment