Pages

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Finished Christmas Tree Skirt

Please ignore the dirty floor. The tree is in the foyer, which is still considered a construction zone. As you can see, it's not perfect but that's because it is nearly impossible to sew a circle without something bunching somewhere. It was almost really difficult to sew the binding to the inner circle (the one that goes around the tree stand) so if you look at it in person, it's a disaster. I may fix it next year but it's good enough for this year.

I didn't really follow a pattern for this that I can share. I wanted to make a different tree skirt but it ended up being too complicated to finish anywhere close to Christmas. Plus, it was only 18 inches across because it was meant for a table top tree. I extended the wedges to make it bigger for our tree (our tree bottom is 60 inches but it has a lot of room between the floor and the first set of branches so it didn't need to be that big). This skirt is 36 inches. Then I cut out 16 of my wedges (this gave it a little overlap over the opening that allows you to put it around the tree) from my fabrics. It's hard to see in the picture but I have a plain white, red poinsettias, gingerbread men, red and white polka dots, red swirls, red and green plaid with shiny gold, and red with branches. I originally had more green in there but red was still going to be too dominant because I don't have all that much green fabric left since making my leaf hot pad so I decided to do a green binding instead.

The binding actually worked out perfectly because I had made too much for my brother's blanket and this was almost the exact right size (I had just a little extra). This also made it less work for me since it was already folded like a binding.

All my fabrics were at least a fat quarter if not bigger. It was nice I could use the fat quarters though. I planned that on purpose because the original way I had extended the wedges made them 18 1/2 inches. I knew I wanted to use some fat quarters because they were Christmas-y so I cut the wedge to 18 inches instead. Of course, if you are using only bigger pieces of fabric, you could easily make the wedge bigger to whatever you want.

For my batting, I used an old fleece type blanket that was nice and thick. I decided not to do a backing on it because nobody seems the back of tree skirts anyway and the blanket was thick enough. It does look a little funny when you're sewing it though because the blanket is blue but that's okay.

Looking back, it was actually pretty easy to make, once you have the wedge (if you want to make a tree skirt but need a wedge, you can either use a wedge ruler (which I don't have) or find a pattern to a tree skirt that uses wedges and adjust it to your size). The hardest part was probably binding it. This is only my third ever binding I think plus it was on a circle. I'm not that technically gifted yet! I think it all turned out really nice though.

No comments:

Post a Comment