Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

Fish Stick Florentine

On Friday night, I was looking for a way to jazz up fish sticks. We usually serve them with a vegetable and a variety of mashed potatoes but this night, I wanted something different. After looking through lots of recipes for how to make your own fish sticks (which obviously wasn't what I wanted), I found this one. I was a little nervous of all the spinach because I'm not a huge spinach fan and usually try to cover up the taste with other stuff (like when I put it in smoothies). I also wasn't sure how David would feel about it but he eats anything I make.

I decided to try it anyway. I followed one of the comments and made it on the stove top and then the oven instead of the microwave. I started with a pot over medium heat for the butter, flour, and spices (I added paprika at this point because I hadn't read the recipe all the way through and didn't know they save that for the end). When this started making noises like it was going to burn and stick to the bottom of the pan, I added the milk in haste. I whisked at this point because my butter still hadn't melted all the way. Then I added the cheese when it looked smooth (it never looked thick to me). I doubled the cheese they called for (mostly because I was still scared of the spinach taste plus we love cheese). Then, we assembled it like they did and put it in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.

Next time, I will add more of the cheese sauce to the spinach mixture because there was way too much for on top of the fish sticks and this made them kind of soggy. We also had the sticks in the freezer the whole time (we didn't thaw them in other words) and next time, I might bake them first (according to box instructions) and just assemble the casserole without baking it again to make them crunchier.

Overall, it was very good! David and I ate the whole thing in one sitting so depending on who you're feeding and how much they like it, it does not make 4 servings. I will definitely make this again but I'll try some of my modifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment