Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Chicken Salad With Grapes

I have never made chicken salad before (and up until my pregnancy, I hadn't eaten meat in 5 or 6 years) nor have I ever even tasted it. I decided on one with grapes since I have to use those up (notice how many things I have to use up lately? That's summer for ya. Everything's in season!). A lot of them called for celery but David said that's just for crunch anyway so I used cucumbers (with the seeds cut out). We plan on having this for dinner so I haven't officially had it yet but I did taste it to make sure I got my seasonings right and it's SO good! I should've made a bigger batch!

I think this will only serve 2 people but of course, adjust it as you need it.

2 chicken breasts, chopped and cooked (I have frozen ones that I just baked in the oven for 45 minutes at 375)
half a cucumber, chopped and de-seeded
grapes, cut in half (in half seemed a little bigger so maybe next time I'd do quarters, or I'd cut my chicken bigger) I aimed for about a cup of these and I have HUGE grapes so I think I used about 10 or 15
1 tsp liquid smoke (the original recipe called for worcestershire sauce but I don't have that. I looked up substitutions and this was a suggestion)---really just anything to give it a tangy flavor
mayo (or miracle whip), 1/2 cup or as much as you like. I don't measure but I think I actually managed a half cup

Mix everything in a bowl, chill and serve (on bread or in a wrap would be my suggestion but some people do crackers, chips, by itself, on a bed of lettuce, etc). I don't know how long to chill it before serving but we're not eating for several hours so....I have time. I'm so excited to eat it!! It was so easy to make and it seems very versatile. You could exchange the grapes for apples or craisins.  You could add walnuts or pecans. You could try steak sauce instead of liquid smoke. The options are endless! Plus it's perfect for a nice hot day when you want a cold dinner without much work and without turning the oven on (I did have to cook the chicken but technically, you could buy one of those roasted chickens from the grocery store).

No comments:

Post a Comment