Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cucumber Mashed Potatoes

We were given about 7 or 8 decent sized cucumbers over the weekend. Cucumbers tend to go bad fast but I did learn the proper way to store them is on the counter, not in the fridge. This is because in the fridge, the cucumbers can get cold-related injuries. Weird, huh? Anyway, I can't just eat 8 cucumbers raw and not get sick of them. I looked up recipes and it seems the most common things people use them for are cucumber salad, cucumber sandwiches, and cold cucumber soup. None of those sounded like what I wanted (although I may make up some sandwiches today) but then I came across a recipe for cucumber mashed potatoes! I like mashed potatoes, I like cucumbers. It sure sounds like a strange combination but I'm sort of used to weird vegetables in my potatoes because David's grandma usually adds things, especially rutabaga. So I thought we'd try it. It only serves two people so if we didn't like it, we wouldn't be wasting much. (Oh and did I mention, we also got a whole grocery bag full of potatoes this weekend too?? But those last longer so I'm not in as much of a hurry to use them up. They're even still dirty from the garden---which apparently makes them stay good longer. Who knew?)

 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (we used red potatoes but I'm sure you can use anything)
1 tablespoon butter
4 tablespoons milk, divided
1/2 small cucumber, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons chopped onion (we used yellow and we keep our onions in the freezer so we don't cry when we cut them and when mixed with the hot potatoes, it thaws out just fine. We didn't cook them first or anything.)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 tsp sugar

Put the potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes or until very tender (we used a fork to tell how easy they would mash since we forgot to chop the potato up first. It did take a little longer to cook but no big deal).

Drain well. Mash with butter and 2 tablespoons of milk. (This is a very basic way to make regular mashed potatoes so if you usually use more milk or butter, go right ahead). Stir in cucumber, onion, and salt. In a small bowl, stir vinegar and sugar into the remaining milk. Stir into potato mixture.

I just have to say not only was this recipe easy to make, it was AMAZING! I definitely give it 5 out of 5 stars, maybe even 6. I couldn't stop talking about how good it was! David is not a big fan of onion or vinegar but he thinks they're essential to the recipe so don't leave them out. He still gave it a 5 too!

No comments:

Post a Comment