Pages

Friday, August 9, 2013

Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Cake was prominently featured in my dream last night so I woke up wanting some very very badly. We don't buy the cake mixes (although we do buy brownie mixes) so I looked at the ingredients we had to come up with what kind of cake I wanted. We didn't have the ingredients to make our own frosting so I decided a pound cake would be nice. We have some cream cheese we need to use up so I thought this recipe would be perfect. I've never made it before but it's been sitting in my arsenal of recipes I want to try for a really long time. I will be making it tonight since you want all the ingredients at room temperature and my butter is frozen (literally. We didn't have enough left in the fridge to make this cake but we did have some in the freezer)

Ingredients:
  • 8 oz cream cheese (people say the low fat kind works out just fine)
  • 1 1/2 cups butter (I believe this works out to be 3 sticks)
  • 3 cups sugar (this sounds like a bit much to me and all the comments on the original recipe said to cut this down. 2 1/2 cups if you are a real sugar lover, 2 cups if you want)
  • 6 eggs
  • 3 cups flour (all purpose works just fine but cake flour is best)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract (or whatever you want to use. I think lemon would be really good)
Directions:
1. Grease your 10 inch tube pan (I will be using an angel food cake pan).
2. In a large bowl, mix your butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and continue beating until mixture is fluffy.
3. Add the eggs two at a time, beating well after each addition. Add all the flour at once and mix in. Add the extract.
4. Pour into the pan. Put in the cold oven at 325 degrees. Check after an hour. Cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean. All ovens are different so check frequently but could take an hour and a half or longer. 


Note: I made this last night and it was SO good. David gives it 5 out of 5 stars. We used about 2 1/4 cups sugar with vanilla extract. Be patient when you are mixing and it will turn out just fine (it took us an hour twenty to bake). We did think it might also be good with whip cream and berries but it's also awesome on its own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment