Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Finding Out the Gender of Your Baby

David and I still have a few weeks to decide (I'm 17 weeks along) if we want to know Teeny's gender or not but I think we have finally decided not to (we may still change our minds but for now this is our reasoning). Of course we're excited and would like to know but here are some of our reasons for NOT finding out:


  • It's not 100% accurate. I don't know the true percentage but I do know of people (and my mom personally knows people) who are told one gender and then the baby comes, and it's the other gender. Butts can look like vaginas, hands can look like penises....yes, the technician knows more than you do but they have been known to be wrong.
  • We are planning on having more than one child so we are trying to keep everything gender neutral. Some people find out so they can decorate a certain way and buy gender specific clothes but since we plan on reusing the same things for each child, it doesn't make sense to have it gender specific.
  • There are very few true surprises in life. We are going to be happy with a boy or a girl (some people find it weird that we aren't rooting for one or the other but at this point, we really are neutral on it) so it doesn't really matter to us which gender comes first.
  • If you are more traditional like we are (before I got pregnant, I wasn't even going to let David in the room. He was going to have to wait out in the hall like plenty of dads from decades ago), then it makes sense not to find out ahead of time. They weren't always able to give you a sonogram and tell you what gender. Just let it be natural without technology involved (sonograms still have a purpose other than the telling you the gender though).
  • My midwife says you're more likely to push harder and want to get through labor faster if you don't know the gender because you're anxious to know. It makes your effort more worthwhile.
  • If we knew the gender, it would be really hard not to call Teeny but whatever our top ranking name is. This really bothers me when people do it because sometimes the baby comes, and they just aren't a (whatever name you picked). I think you should have your top choices when you go to the hospital but decide once you get there. It seems easier to do this if you don't know the gender.
I guess those are all the reasons I have but of course it's totally up to you and your partner as to whether or not you are going to find out. 70% of couples do find out (which means that 30% of couples don't). It's completely personal preference and I'm not trying to put my opinion on you, but if you are undecided these are just some things to think about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment