Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

How to Survive the Dentist

Before today, the last time I was at the dentist was last July. It was the place I had gone just about every six months since I was a baby. Today, I went to the dentist in my town and it was a surprisingly pleasant experience. Okay maybe not pleasant. Going to the dentist is never pleasant but they didn't even try to talk to me with tools in my mouth! So I survived the dentist and now I will tell you how to also. (By the way, no cavities today! I've only had one my entire life.)


  • Don't let your teeth get bad in the first place. Brush, floss, and use mouthwash daily. 
  • Know that tooth stains are common and they don't mean that you have unhealthy teeth.
  • When in the chair, try to think about other things or sing in your head. I personally think the worst part is the polishing because they use the "drill" that sounds much worse than it is. As a little kid, I don't remember the cleaning part at all, just the drill. Now I realize the drill is only like 5 minutes compared to everything else. 
  • Put on chapstick or vaseline before you go. You're going to have your mouth open for a long time and your lips get dried out. This is a nice way to avoid that.
  • If you get nervous while in the waiting room, distract yourself. Read magazines, play on your phone, talk to strangers. 
  • Know that when you're being lectured about brushing or flossing, it's not meant to be embarrassing but for your own good. It's much cheaper (and easier) to prevent cavities than it is to fill them in.
  • Have insurance. Of course you can't always help this one but it's definitely more of an incentive to go than if you have to pay out of pocket.
  • Remember that it's never as bad as you think it is. 

I read somewhere this morning that only 50% of Americans regularly go to the dentist. At that rate, you can pat yourself on the back even for just making the appointment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment