Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Our Garden

Yesterday, David and I picked up our apple tree, raspberries bushes, strawberries, and blueberry bushes from a nursery nearby (we preordered). We planted the tree, the raspberries, and the strawberries (I suppose I should say that David planted them while I made dinner. I guess you could say I supervised.) Once we make our raised garden for the blueberries, we will plant those too (possibly tonight). Blueberries are kind of picky about the PH in their soil so that's why they're having a separate garden. One of these days (also possibly tonight but I do sort of doubt it), we will be planting all our vegetables. We already started the tomatoes and broccoli inside but we still have things like green beans, cucumbers, and sun flowers (not a vegetable as far as I know but we bought some seeds any way) to plant too. I am so excited!

Our apple tree is small (especially in comparison to the pine tree we put it next to) and won't produce fruit for another 2-5 years. We aren't sure if we'll get fruit from the berries this year but we should next year or the year after that. It'll be so exciting to be able to have these fruits on hand all year long! Same with our vegetables! Some of these things, we will have to plant year after year, like the tomatoes, but some things should stay. We have rhubarb regrowing from last year (it came with the house, we just moved it to the garden area).

Also, when we find the time, we will be putting edging around our garden to make it easier to mow around and know how far our garden goes. I think this is what David's most excited about. He has come up with about 20 different materials and ways to do it. I'm happy that something excites him so much but I do admit, I'm sick of him talking about it. I just want it done.

Hopefully everything grows and we will have an abundance of fruits and vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment