Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Working Out

Last summer, I would go running just about every day, granted some days were harder or longer than others, but every day nonetheless. When it got cold, I started to slack. At first, I did YouTube videos or even things like hula hooping but that quickly died down. I would still go for walks occasionally but with the threat of ice everywhere and the cold unappreciated, those got harder too. Then I started physical therapy for my shoulder. That got me lifting weights every other day. I have since stopped (but keeping meaning to get back to it. I used to do it 3 or 4 days a week and now I MIGHT get in once a week). I'm not really any busier than I was back then. I guess I just got lazy. Lately, I've been going for a walk every day but a run just sounds too sweaty (it's 80 here today. 80 I can handle, 80 and humid is much worse. Stupid Midwest).
Perhaps a bike ride is the solution but my bike is still hung up from the winter and I need help undoing it.

Well today, as I am cleaning for company (this involves going up and down all three of our floors repeatedly. Our first floor is only like 65 degrees but our third floor is more like 77), I am discovering that you can't ask for a better workout than cleaning a whole house. You engaged lots of muscles (especially your abs if you have to bend over a lot), cardio is going up and down the stairs 50 times an hour, and you're productive at the same time! I suddenly have the feeling that I have written about this before in winter slump but now that it's basically summer weather (please tell me what happened to Spring. This year's weather is just out of control), this is just as sweaty as running around outside (did I mention we don't have air conditioning?).

So I suggest, if you are strapped for time and somehow can't fit in a 15 minute walk or run but you have a lot of cleaning to do too, combine then. There are ways to get a better workout by cleaning than just doing your normal routine. For instance, instead of gathering everything that has to go downstairs and taking it all down at once (which you can do, especially in a time crunch), you could take things down in several trips. You could buy a heavier vacuum (I feel like this is one of the most important reasons that housewives in the 50's had better strength than we do now). You get the idea. Plus, if you get too warm and no one else is home, you can do it all naked!

No comments:

Post a Comment