Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Book Tote

Over the weekend, I made a really cute book tote. I actually had all the pieces cut out and sitting on my ironing board forever but I finally finished it! I did make a couple changes to the pattern to make it easier. For one, I cut all my pieces to the same size (when you get to the pinning step). So this means when you line up your 7 inch piece with the 7 inch side of a different piece, they are both 7 inches. The pattern calls for one of them to be 7 1/2. Same with the 9 inch pieces. This actually made me really mad that I didn't catch it sooner because I had accidentally cut the pieces at 9 inches, instead of 9 1/2. Then I discarded those pieces and it turns out I could've used them instead of cutting new pieces! Oh well. I'm over it.

The other annoying thing about this tote is actually having a bottom piece rather than making a boxed bottom with seams and cutting the corners (a technique I actually just learned this weekend while working on a different bag!). That would've made this project immensely easier.

I do like the end result though. It perfectly fits about 2 books, depending on how thick they are. I think it's adorable and could have many uses (some that don't even include toting books around!).

I would like to make a whole bunch of these but I should probably find uses for them first. Eventually, when my little girl is older, they'd be cute for her to cart around her stuff in.


 I'm sorry I don't have a size comparison for them but let's just say they would fit a Bible (or a similar sized book) perfectly!

No comments:

Post a Comment