Pages

Monday, September 8, 2014

(Vegan) Alternative to Meatballs

Since my pregnancy, I haven't gone back to being a vegetarian and not sure if I will or not. We do try to eat less meat and at least once a week, we have a meatless meal. It's actually already a really healthy practice, as well as good for you and the environment, if you haven't already considered this. There was a big campaign trying to make it more known called Meatless Mondays so I'm sure you will find plenty of information about it's benefits if you look that up. Anyway, last week Friday was our meatless meal. I wanted pasta but I thought it needed a little more protein. That was when I found this recipe. I actually had everything but the lentils on hand (with a few adjustments) and I had also been looking for a way to use up my package of mushrooms. My adjustments were I left out the bay leaf, used balsamic vinegar instead of red wine, and used some seasoning from a ramen packet mixed into water for the broth.

These are very easy to make but a little time consuming. Next time, I'll make a big batch and freeze some of them so I don't have to spend two hours cooking dinner every time. I don't think they are supposed to taste like meat and they don't but they are still great, especially when mixed into your pasta sauce! They were also bigger than I was thinking they were. A person had suggested using a mini muffin tin if you want them smaller but I don't have one of those. I suppose you could use a big muffin tin and just not fill it as much or you could probably get away with using a baking sheet.

We rated these a 4 out of 5 in our house! I will definitely be making them again. They also come out really cheap, in terms of ingredients. Around here, you can get an entire bag of lentils for a dollar (and you only use about 1/6 of it), and mushrooms for $1.50, much cheaper than meat!

No comments:

Post a Comment