Pages

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Frozen Burritos and Dessert Chimichangas

With a baby in the house, it can be really hard to find time to make lunch. Even something as simple and quick as a sandwich can be a huge undertaking some days. This means, I like really quick, convenient lunches. Something I can pop in the microwave while I tend to my baby and then come back and check on it. Usually this involves TV dinners or pot pies but I try not to use those too often because they aren't the healthiest and they cost money.

Before she was born, we had froze ahead some meals so it would be really easy to have a nutritious meal fairly quickly. We obviously (she was born 7 months ago) ate through all those but I somehow had forgotten about continuing to do this. I decided to make my own frozen burritos. It's really not hard and comes out pretty cheap, about 30 cents a burrito.

You will need:
  • tortilla shells. I used the 10inch burrito size ones
  • refried beans, either canned or homemade
  • shredded cheese
Of course, you can add in meats, spices, salsa, hot sauce, etc but I wanted to keep mine simple. Then you combine the beans and cheese in a bowl, fill your tortilla, roll it up and you're done. You can either wrap them individually in plastic wrap or tin foil then place in a freezer gallon size bag or freeze them all on a cookie sheet and then put in the freezer bag once they are frozen. This prevents them from sticking together.

I got 5 burritos out of one can of beans and about one cup of cheese.

I hear you don't need to thaw them before cooking either. Just throw in the oven or the microwave and you got yourself a meal!

Now since I only got 5 burritos out of that recipe and I was expecting 8, I needed a recipe to use up my last 3 shells. That was when I found dessert chimichangas. The link doesn't include directions, other than the pictures, but it does have the ingredients. I combined all of the filling ingredients and heated them in a skillet over medium-high heat until they looked to be the right consistency. Then I filled and rolled the tortillas and put back in the pan with a little oil until slightly golden brown. Then I rolled in the cinnamon sugar topping.

I will mention I cut the recipe in half since I only needed to use 3 tortillas and my tortillas were pretty big compared to the ones called for. These were really good but I liked the shell and topping just as much as I liked the inside so maybe sometime in the near future, I'll just make the shells. I'm pretty sure that is already a thing but I've never had it before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment