Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Food! Dinners (part 2)

The first dinner is Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas. I've been meaning to make this one for a few weeks and just never got around to it. I will admit I used canned enchilada sauce but I had half a can leftover from the last time I made enchiladas (it freezes well. It's not quite the same consistency but it tastes the same once it comes back from the oven). I purposely left out the onions and cilantro but I just plum forgot to put the cumin in. It still had plenty of flavor, even with cutting the enchilada sauce to half a can as well. I wasn't a big fan of these but I'm still kind of spinach-ed out because I seemed to eat it by the handfuls for the longest time. My husband and mom really enjoyed this recipe though.

Pork Yakisoba is another recipe I found on pinterest. It's actually chicken but we never have that on hand and we did have pork, so I used that instead. In this, we had to make some alterations. For instance, we left out the sesame oil and hot sauce. We also substituted the worchestershire sauce for liquid smoke and used ginger spice rather than fresh ginger. I was really excited to use our garden carrots though. They weren't very big but we had enough of them to make enough for this. I didn't particularly like this recipe either but it might've been the cabbage. I think it absorbed too much of the liquid smoke, giving it too strong of a flavor.

For a lighter dinner, we made veggie egg bites. These were so quick and easy! Plus so good! I used peas, peppers, and corn for the veggies. I put them in the microwave to thaw a little bit first but the website said that wasn't necessary. I did end up needing 11 eggs and I only got 11 muffins out of it so I would adjust that for next time. I also forgot to salt them so I salted after, and might do that in the future on purpose for people's personal preferences.

Lastly, I needed a side to go with the veggie egg bites and my mom had brought zucchini and summer squash with her so we made fritters to go with them. These were also really good but you need an amazingly non-stick pan to make them. We have an Or-greenic pan and this worked wonders but the first pan we used didn't. They just stuck and when we were able to flip them, they lost the part that kept them together. These did turn out really delicious though. And I thought they accompanied the egg bites well.

And that's all my new recipes! (If you missed it, don't forget to read part 1 with desserts!

No comments:

Post a Comment